Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dying Fiber... and my fingers

I sometimes get in these moods where I just have to try something new. So the other day when one of those moods struck me, it was only right to grab the huge bag of  pure white fiber and just start dying. While you think I would know something about dying before starting... the fact was that I did not. Not a clue what I was doing and just going to wing it. Sometimes that's the best way to do something, just cross your fingers and go for it. Luckily I have some great friends that are on there are the drop of a hat via text when questions started to arise during the dying process! So I simply started throwing in some dye and hoping for the best. So the first batch went great with some pink dye and then I started to get ideas in my head. For the second batch I decided to use sprinkles (yes like the type you put on ice cream) to dye this batch (and yes! it worked). Before I knew it I had a green batch of fiber ready to go! So due to my great friend Judith we used the drum carder and I am about to spin up the combination of the pink and green colors with green Easter grass. (I will post pics as soon as it's done). So a few more rounds of dying has occurred and I figured I would post a couple pics of the latest rounds. One needs carded but the other is ready to go. So I am loving the dying world and can't wait to keep trying out more and more color combinations. But I do have to admit I tried natural dyes today and ended up tossing out all of it. They turned out horrible and I will never do natural dyes again! But the rest of it has been a blast and I can't see myself stopping anytime soon (unless I run out of dye... or fiber).


No comments: