Friday, March 6, 2009

My Stack of Research


So life lately has been exactly what you see here....research, reading, typing, and lots of homework. Most of these books are just for a research paper that unfortunately is due in less than two weeks. And of course it isn't just a few pages, it's more like 15-20 pages. A horrible amount that I wouldn't wish upon my worse enemy. It was about four days ago that I decided it was time to breathe. Now some may call me a procrastinator, and I would accept that to a certain extent, but I decided I wouldn't touch these books for a week (being that I have gotten most of my paper done). It was to the point where everything I read or typed just didn't make any sense or wasn't sticking in my head. I have simply been doing the necessities for school and then reaching for my knitting needles the rest of the time. Only two weeks until the first of my associate degrees are done. It only took 10 years to be able to say that, after starting and stopping so many times, but I am proud to say it at all. In one of my classes the other day the teacher was discussing the recent economic turmoil when it comes to job prospects and she said "An associates degree is the equivalent to a high school degree". That statement made me stop. I don't know what she said after that because I was absolutely floored. She had just summed up the fact that my hard work over the past 10 years essentially meant nothing. This coming from a teacher at a community college who assists people in getting their associates degree, and I guess since she has a masters she would become an expert on the subject supposedly. It almost seemed ironic. So really she is saying that everyone at this school, unless they are working towards a bachelor's degree or higher, is wasting their time. After that thrilling class I came home and grabbed my knitting needles. It's amazing the amount of knitting you can get done when people irritate you. So here is the conclusion that I have come to after my knitting therapy. Some people need to take a breath, maybe even sit down and knit for a few minutes to clear their mind, before they decide to make a statement like that. Or another way to look at it is that because of that statement....I got the motivation to get some knitting done that day! Why people don't try knitting instead of paying expensive therapists I will never know.

No comments: