Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Coupon Clipper

     With finances getting tight, a few weeks ago Max just mentioned I should start clipping coupons to save some money. Little did he know... he had created a coupon monster. It's addicting leaving the store with a basket full of items for $50 rather than the usual $100 trip, when we are only getting a few things. Also seeing the percentage on the receipt that you saved makes you feel like a champ in world of money crunching. Now I am nowhere near some of those ladies I have seen on that TLC Extreme Couponing show but I do my fair share of saving lately. I do admit I have a binder full of coupons because it's really the only way to not go crazy finding certain coupons when you find a deal in the store. Amazingly enough I have seen others in the stores with binders that are inches taller than mine, but atleast I'm not the only crazy one there searching for deals. There are so many things that you can get for free if you really plan things. Only spending an hour here and there looking for coupons or ads can make you feel like you have better control of your shopping trip than letting the store take you for every penny in your wallet. So with all of this saving and finding crazy deals, I have starting stocking up items throughout the house so we don't have to worry when things get even tighter. It's definitely not a stockpile as shown on TV with other people but there are a few things like hair dye (that I got for .99 a piece) and laundry detergent (those were .97 a piece) that we are not going to have to purchase in the next 6 months. Some people may think this is crazy to do but since I have been so sick lately this is the one way I can help save money and be a huge help to my family. This plan also is giving us the abilitly to look at the long term plan of becoming foster parents or adopting, and allowing me to stay at home with the kids. Now couponing isn't the only way to save money, so that's why the cable bill will be cut in half and the car payments are going to go away soon by purchasing a cheaper car and paying in full for it. The thought of not having a car payment each month is enough to let us relax. So the challenge is to see just how much we can save now and I know between the two of us, it won't be a problem. But any suggestions are welcome to help us even further... within reason. I have seen a few suggestions that are just freaking crazy. I refuse to start creating my own laundry detergent as well as separating the two-ply toilet paper. Those just happen to be suggestions on a site I found which caused me to laugh to tears.

No comments: